Third Time is the Charm, Right?

Day 3: July 3, 2017: Elk City, OK: 343m/552km

I thought that we were never going to get out of Mena! Everything was wet, it took forever to pack, and figure a system for wet items. With everything being wet, Opa decided that we should have breakfast in the lodge/resort. Fine by me. The decision was made to ride in rain gear; it was too foggy and dim to not expect more rain to come. Although, the rain gear and lack of our Airhawks was short-lived, just 100 miles.
We settled on Elk City being our destination for the day. We pull into the KOA on the side of 40 and begin to go through our usual motions. Dry out the wet tents before setting them up, dropping his trailer, getting our chairs and his table out, the whole nine yards. With everything situated at camp, we race into town to look for a usb plug to update the gopro camera mounted on my sidecar. Wally World, a local shop, Dollar General, Walgreen's, and back to the local shop. Back at camp, Opa is cooking, I'm working with the gopro. The wind starts to really whip around as we clean up after our meal. The radar doesn't have much for us in the good news department.

Before long the storm was starting to kick into high gear, luckily, no waterbed floor. My tent walls were a bit all over the place, one side and then the other. The storm went on passed my ability to stay awake-I'm a sucker for storms.
Like clockwork, as the weather starts to calm down, my grandfather starts asking about me, the tent, the weather, everything. He then says that he had to abandon the tent and has been sleeping in his helinox chair, in the bathroom because, his tent collapsed! WHAT?!
I jumped out of the tent to look around; sure enough, one broken, one bent. I went to make sure that his tent was emptied to prevent anything from getting ruined and that the door was zipped to make sure more rain didn't get into it. Guess he will need to buy a new tent and we will need to find some solution and fast.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Photography Session

Sidecar Saturdays : Games and Awards