Land's End and Seward Heartbreak

Day 31: July 31, 2017: Homer/Kenai: 452m/727km (this was a round trip day)

Opa insisted that I have my bear mace in the tent last night. Which, luckily I did not need. Opa was already up and moving around while I was packing everything for the day, inside the tent. He starts rushing me to get out of the tent, finally he tells me that there is a bear. I actually managed to get pretty close. 
We had a phenomenal breakfast at Kava's on Muldoon Rd (in case you go looking).  Opa settled the trailer and we were off towards the Kenai Peninsula and Seward. He kept raving about the tunnel and the seafood. He would kindly add, "I know you can't eat it but, it is so good!" We would pull over occasionally to take pictures of the mountains and at one point, he helped me stand on top of the trailer to get a picture over the treeline. Now that is some dedication. 
We made it to the entrance for the tunnel to Seward and the tone he spoke with broke my heart. We were turned away! They allowed trikes and our sidecar rigs are the same width as a standard car. Opa had mentioned a few times that this would probably be his last trip to Alaska; he wanted to see everything one more time and show everything to me. I may or may not have posted a very nasty facebook post about it to all of my fellow sidecar friends. After a few quiet minutes, he tried to brighten the mood and focus back on the gorgeous scenery, it worked. 
Before long we were riding down to the very end of Homer Spit. I was not expecting the road to be so crowded with pedestrians. It was almost like the sidewalks in Gatlinburg, TN, small tourist shops, restaurants, a campground, and everyone walking (and all in the way). We pulled up to the Land's End sign, I took a few pictures of some fellow beemer riders and they returned the favor.
With our original camping plans dashed because we couldn't go to Seward, we decided to drive back to Anchorage and find a campground along the way back. We were thrilled to find a small state park near Kasilof/Crooked Creek, and the best part was the RV park next door. 
After camp was set up, Opa started planning the next route. I know he is still sore from the ride to the Arctic Circle and the two nights of sleeping on gravel will not help. He decided that Glenallen would be the stopping point for tomorrow.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Photography Session

Sidecar Saturdays : Games and Awards