Two Storms during Night Two.

Day 2: July 2, 2017: Mena, AR: 262m/421km

My grandfather LOVES to wake me up in the morning by shaking the rainfly or vestibule of my tent. He was sipping his coffee and making breakfast. I was desperate for another 10 minutes of sleep. I can never function at 100% before 9am, asking that I wake up at 7 is unheard of! I emptied my tent and took it down while Opa finished his breakfast. I washed the dishes while Opa took his tent down. The mornings are generally smooth with our little system in place.
Yesterday was the longest I have driven in one shot. Maybe I can manage to figure out how to stand up soon without getting wobbly.
Had a delightful little random detour. We went the wrong direction after leaving a gas station, only a 10 mile round trip. So not too much was lost. Funny enough, it happened twice. The icing on the cake was that he forgot about his sidecar cover being left open-TWICE!
Boy oh boy, what a mess.
We pulled into a hazy Queen Wilhelmina State Park after winding back and forth up this mountain road.
"I can say that I drove The Lizard."
"What?"
"Well, it's not quite the Dragon, is it, Opa?"
He wasn't as impressed with my little joke as I was.

We set up camp with barely enough time to get everything arranged before a train of people began to wander by, to take a look and chit-chat with us. The majority of the people that stopped to talk to us warned us about the approaching storms. At least the storms should pass hours before we get up in the morning.



Late Night Additions:
12:00ish-The storm opened up on us about 11:00p.m. My tent (Eureka Timberline SQ2XT), held up through some pretty rough winds. The only rain in my tent was what dripped through the zipper after the wind and rain wouldn't stop beating on side of my tent.

2:00ish-The thunder is enough to rock the ground. As I was leaving the restroom, a woman offered for us to join her and her husband in their RV until the storms blew over. I thanked her but, declined. Opa pipes up every now and then to ask how I'm holding up or how the tent is doing. At least, I think that's what he has been asking. It's too loud and he mumbles. My tent floor feels like a water bed; luckily, there's no water in my tent. Well, no more in my tent than maybe a tablespoon, at most.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Photography Session

Sidecar Saturdays : Games and Awards